Posted By Ashok Mathur On December 11, 2014
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has already paid $23.7 billion for EHR adoption incentives. Don’t be left out; here are some steps to guide you through the application process and get the EHR incentives you qualify for.
If you’re just getting started, remember…
- Check your eligibility for the EHR incentives.
- Choose a program: Medicaid or Medicare. If you see patient population of 30% of more Medicaid than you qualify for Medicaid incentives. If you qualify, it is best to choose Medicaid program as it pays more and easier to get the incentives. For example, if you are local health department, chances are that you see more than 30% Medicaid patients.
- Determine if your EHR is certified.Only purchase and adopt a federally certified EHR which is certified as a “Complete EHR” – do not get an EHR which is certified as “modular”.
- Prepare to register.
- Register for participation.
- Meet the MU Requirements.
- Prepare for Attestation.
- Attest and retain documentation (You most likely will be audited).
- Continue reporting each year thereafter.
As you embark on this journey, it is important that you get an EHR which makes it easy for you to meet meaningful use. To read more, check out our blog on “7+1 bonus steps for selecting an EHR” which will make it easy for you to achieve meaningful use.